Whenever you move out of on-campus housing or leave for a break, there’s information you need to know and a process to follow. Check out the links below for specific dates associated with the time you plan to leave. Keep reading for details about how to check out.
How to move out
Note: Your contract is for the academic year. If you plan to move out after the fall semester, you must review the cancellation process and follow the proper procedures to cancel your contract. There are penalties associated for non-academic cancellations.
If you do not follow all check-out procedures or you do not check out by the assigned deadline, you will be charged a $50 improper check-out fee. You may also face lock change charges and, depending upon the time of year, you may also continue to accrue daily room and board charges until you have officially checked out.
Get a Check Out Packet
To properly check out, get an Express Check Out packet at your hall desk or apartment community center.
Pack Your Items
- Pack all of your belongings and remove them from your room.
- Empty all of the drawers in your desk and dresser/wardrobe.
- Remove all posters, pictures and/or other decorations from walls and doors.
- Personal property left in the room will be removed from the premises. It will be kept for 30 days, after which it will be sent to Asset Recovery for sale/disposal. You will be charged for removal, storage and disposal, with a minimum charge of $50.
Clean your room
- Sweep and wash uncarpeted floors. DO NOT sweep debris into the hallway.
- Vacuum carpeted floors.
- Wipe down walls.
- Wash out dresser and desk drawers.
- Dust / wash all furniture surfaces and window sills.
- In suites, clean and disinfect all bathroom surfaces including showers/tubs, sinks, counters and toilets.
Take your trash OUTSIDE to the dumpsters.
Account for all furniture
- All furniture that was in the room at check-in should be present and fully and correctly assembled.
- You will be charged for missing or unassembled furniture
Move Your Items Out
Return Your Check Out Packet