This process is for students who wish to have additional consideration given to their housing assignment due to a disability or medical condition.

You must personally inform us of your needs before or at the time you submit your Housing Contract. Action plans from elementary through high school don’t apply to college and campus offices are not legally allowed to share your medical information. 

To ensure your needs are met, you have to follow the process outlined below. Do not assume your needs will be met based on your housing preferences.

The Accommodation Process

  • Step 1: Contract For Housing – Contract using the regular AccessPlus contracting process. Your accommodation assignment will be based on the date you submit your housing contract. Answer “yes” to the accommodation question on the contract.
  • Step 2: Register with Student Accessibility Services (SAS) – SAS evaluates each accommodation request, so you also must register with this office for your accommodation to be considered. 
  • Step 3: Submit a Housing Accommodation Request Form – You will need to complete a Housing Accommodation Request Form and submit it to SAS along with the Required Documentation. If needed, you may be contacted for clarification or additional information.
    • If you don’t complete this step before May 1 for fall or December 1 for spring, we may not be able to accommodate you.
  • Step 4: Your Request is Reviewed – Once you have completed the above steps, your request will be evaluated by the SAS staff who will make a recommendation regarding your assignment. Approval of all requests is at the discretion of Iowa State University.
  • Step 5: Your Assignment is Made – If your request is approved, you will be assigned based first on your documented needs. The preferences on your housing contract will be considered, but an assignment within your preferences is not guaranteed. Additionally, your accommodation is for YOU only and we may not be able to assign you with any roommate(s) you have requested.


We have eight air-conditioned residence halls and 12 non-air-conditioned residence halls. Requests for air conditioning due to allergies/asthma are only considered if they have been diagnosed by a qualified medical provider who has determined the student is disabled by the condition. In air-conditioned buildings, the air is typically on the first part of the year and the last part of the year.

Important Contact Information

Department of Residence: Phone: 515-294-2900 Fax: 515-294-0623,

Student Accessibility Services: Phone: 515-294-7220 Fax: 515-294-2397

ISU Dining Dietitian: Phone: 515-294-3812,, Instagram @isudiningrd.

The Department of Residence does not make assignments that would result in discriminations based upon race, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, color, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, age (40 and over), marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, status as a U.S. veteran (disabled, Vietnam, or other), or any other status protected by university policy or local, state, or federal law.