|Average Ceiling Height
|Average Window Size
|4′ x 5′
|Lofted bed; desk with bookshelf and desk chair; wardrobe with drawers and hanging space; waste basket; recycle bin; mirror; towel bar; blinds.
|Geddes House has a den that has tables and chairs for studying, playing game or a quiet place to stretch out and relax. Each house has two bathrooms. Sinks are in one area with fully-enclosed toilet rooms and fully-enclosed individual shower rooms that have a place for changing. A water bottle refill station promotes the Department of Residence’s green initiatives.
Named for James Geddes. Born in Scotland, Geddes served in the British Army during the First Anglo-Afgan War, retiring as a Colonel in 1857. He moved to a farm near Vinton, Iowa, where he taught at a country school and farmed. When the Civil War started, he enlisted in the Union army in the Iowa 8th Infantry and was eventually promoted to colonel of volunteers. During the war, he fought at Shiloh and was wounded and taken prisoner by the Confederate Army. After being released, Geddes went on to fight at Vicksburg and Jackson, Mississippi. His last major battle was in Mobile, Alabama campaign where his brigade helped capture Spanish Fort. He resigned from service in 1865 and was brevetted brigadier general of volunteers for his distinguished war service. Geddes returned to Vinton and became Superintendent of the Iowa Institution for the Education of the Blind. He joined the staff of the Iowa Agricultural College (Iowa State University) as its Steward in 1870. A year later, he was made Professor of Military Tactics and Engineering. During his time at Iowa State, Geddes was also Acting President, Treasurer, Recorder, and Land Agent. General Geddes wrote several popular war songs, including The Soldier’s Battle-Prayer and The Stars and Stripes.