Student Technical Support
The Support Technician position is a great way for ISU students to gain real world experience. The Student Support Technician position is a desirable environment for skill advancement, leadership development, and a chance to discover your specialty. Our Student Support Technicians help us ensure the continuity of computing for our users by:
- providing technical expertise, assistance, research, and problem solving;
- performing computer installation and hardware/software setup;
- troubleshooting issues on the phone and in person with users; and
- training clients in technology issues.
The DOR promotes excellence through diversity and encourages all qualified individuals to apply for student employment. The DOR is committed to developing and implementing a program of nondiscrimination and affirmative action, a responsibility we accept willingly because it is the right and just thing to do.
- Good academic standing, maintaining a cumulative GPA of 2.50 or better.
- Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or MIS majors preferred.
- Dependability, flexibility, and availability to work Monday – Friday, during the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- A valid driver’s license to drive a university vehicle.
- Ability to lift 30 – 50 lbs. and ability to maneuver in small spaces (ex. under desks).
- Strong communication and customer care skills and the ability to talk about technology in simple terms.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Up-to-date technical knowledge or a willingness to learn.
- Familiarity with Windows and Mac environments is encouraged. Hardware experience is helpful.
SALARY and SCHEDULE
Starting salary is $11.00 an hour, with increase opportunities the longer you work with us. Work Study funds are accepted.
The DOR Technology Services office is open 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday and we are happy to work with/around your class schedule. Students may work no more than 20 hours per week during the academic year. During break periods and summer this limit increases to 40 hours per week. (There may be additional restrictions for some international students depending upon VISA status.)
APPLICATION PROCESS AND CHECKLIST
Interested students may apply to by submitting the following materials. Incomplete applications will not be considered:
- Completed Student Support Technician Employment Application, including references and schedule.
- One page résumé detailing your work, volunteer, and/or experience and any applicable course work.
Return application materials to:
Department of Residence Technology Services
A88B Friley Hall
Ames, IA 50012