Meeting Room / Space Use Policy
The Department of Residence (DoR) has several meeting rooms within the residence halls that are available for reservation at no charge. This policy governs the use of indoor and outdoor DoR space and meeting rooms by DoR staff, student groups and University Departments. These spaces are not available to non-university groups during the academic year. The following spaces are available for reservation:
- Buchanan 2009 (Commons)
- Eaton 1105, 1110, 1132
- Friley Terrace room and Terrace conference room
- Maple-Willow-Larch Commons conference rooms: C3101, C3111 (Music room), C3115
- Martin 2105, 2109, 2121
- Union Drive Community Center Multi-Purpose room, 136 UDCC
- Tabling inside and outside of buildings. Please e-mail our office for details. The tabling request form can be found here.
- Other spaces, including outdoor common areas, may be used if schedule permits
Groups using DoR meeting rooms are required to follow all policies in the Residence Hall Policy Handbook. This information can be found on the DoR website at http://www.housing.iastate.edu.
To make a reservation, fill out the Reservation Request Form and return it to 1203 Friley (or FAX to 294-1417). Reservation agreement may also be attached and sent through email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Residence Hall students may also make reservations at the hall desks. For more information, call 294-6428.
Residence hall students and staff have priority in the reservation of DoR space.
Reservations are available during the academic year, when classes are in session, Monday – Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. For more information or to make reservations call 515-294-6428.
- Our residential buildings are locked Monday through Friday from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. Reservations cannot go beyond this time limit.
- Reservations are not available weekends from 7 p.m. Friday through 7 a.m. Monday. The exception is in 136 UDCC; reservations can be made 7 a.m. until 11 p.m. all days.
- Reservations during break periods or before classes start are not allowed until the official first day of class.
- During the “summer” months, May-August, we limit reservations due to our summer conference operation and also to give our staff an opportunity to set their meeting schedules for fall semester.
Reservations can be made up to three (3) months in advance. No more than four (4) future reservations may be held at one time for a group.
Use of the facilities does not in any way imply that the DOR endorses, encourages, or approves the purpose of the user.
Requests for political advocacy, poling, or associated activity will be referred to Sophia Magill in the President’s office.
Room Set-Up / Condition
Each space has a standard room set up. Groups may alter the set during their event/meeting, but the space must be returned to the original configuration at the end of the meeting/event.
Generally, the set-up of the room when you enter should be the same set-up when you leave.
The Department of Residence does not provide, nor set up, tables and chairs. However if you find those items near where you are located inside the building, you may use them inside the building as long as you carry rather than drag them across the floor and put them back in the same condition and same location where they were found.
The Student Government has purchased tables and chairs for organizations to check-out and use via the MU event management office.
- Property within each room such as pictures, furniture, works of art or any equipment may not be taken from the room. Any person found in possession of or damaging articles belonging to the DOR will be subject to disciplinary actions and payment for damages.
- Tacks or other hardware cannot be used to attach signs to the walls or DoR property. Painter’s tape is acceptable, but not other tapes such as scotch, masking, double-sided, or duct tape.
- Groups or individuals will be charged for excessive cleaning or damages to the meeting rooms and equipment.
Food and Drink
Food and non-alcoholic beverages are permitted in meeting rooms. Office of Risk Management policies regarding food must be followed.
- Alcoholic beverages are not permitted.
- Student groups are encouraged to purchase from ISU Dining.
- The DOR will not be responsible for any articles lost in the building.
- Scheduled activities must not disrupt or interfere with other meetings or scheduled activities.
- Smoking and electronic smoking devices are prohibited on campus.
- The DOR does not allow loitering or overnight sleeping in the public spaces.