The DOR continually reviews and evaluates ways to make existing facilities and services more energy friendly and sustainable. Current initiatives include:
- Replaced all interior incandescent hallway lighting with T8 fluorescent tubes, resulting in decreased energy usage.
- Developed a light bulb exchange program providing students with compact fluorescent bulbs to replace incandescent lighting in their rooms or apartments.
- Lowered hallway lighting by 75% at night in most residence halls.
- Installed switch plate stickers in all student rooms reminding students to turn off their lights.
- Removed 348 can lights from Frederiksen Court reducing energy consumption
- Upgraded several Schilletter Village apartments with energy efficient siding and insulation
- Upgraded several University Village apartments with energy efficient windows, roofs and insulation
Future projects include:
- Upgrade the Willow Hall building envelope which should have energy efficiency impacts.
- Upgrade the Larch Hall building envelope which should have energy efficiency impacts.
- Continued upgrades to energy efficient siding and insulation in the remaining Schilletter Village apartments
- Continued upgrades to energy efficient windows, roofs and insulation in the remaining University Village apartments
Work has begun on collecting historical utility data. The goal is then to meter each hall and track improvement.