General Position Responsibilities
**Please note that these are suggestions, and not requirements
- Presides over the Cabinet Meetings and House Meetings in the absence of the President.
- If President vacates his/her position, Vice-President assumes their responsibilities for the remainder of the term.
- Oversees house committee structure.
- Meets from time to time with house committee chairs.
- Announces campus activities at house meetings (educational programs, leadership and involvement opportunities, etc.).
A House Vice-President should know:
- The dates and times of Hall Council meetings.
- The house constitution and by-laws.
- The house committees and their responsibilities.
- The house meeting procedures.
- The house officer election procedures.
- How can I best represent my house members?
- Constantly bring up issues at house meetings, and get the house members' feedback.
- Set up a box or an envelope where residents can give anonymous feedback about a particular issue.
- Set up a house e-mail list, and post discussion questions.
- Keep the house members informed through flyers, newsletters, e-mails, bulletin boards, etc. about the issues you need feedback on
- How do I develop and maintain a committee system?
- A committee system can help other residents feel more connected to the house, and also lightens the work load of the officers. click here to view a sample committee structure
- A STANDING COMMITTEE is one that is in place each year. Standing committees are usually indicated in your constitution, and can include:
- Social Committee (chaired by the Social Chair)
- Education/Diversity Committee (Chaired by Educational Programming Chair)
- Finance Committee (Chaired by Treasurer)
- Other committees can be formed if needed throughout the year. All committees should have a specific task to complete, and a deadline for when to accomplish their mission. Such committees might include:
- Recycling Committee
- By-Laws Review Committee
- Special Events Committee (for events like Homecoming and VEISHEA)
- Committee chairs are decided either by the constitution (Standing Committees), can be appointed by the President, or are elected from within the committee.
- A VP should meet with all committee chairs twice a month to get updates.
- Each committee should give a report at house meetings.
- One way to promote involvement on the house is to require that each resident serve on at least one committee. Pass around a sign up sheet at the first house meeting.