Clarence Hovey Matterson (1908-1967) came to Iowa State as an instructor in 1939 and became professor and head of history, government, and philosophy in 1945. He served Iowa State in so many capacities it would be impossible to list them. The sum of his efforts was to make this place more of a University in the ideal meaning of the word. He was forced to give up his administrative duties in 1967 because of ill health. The Faculty Citation in 1967 read as follows: “Dr. Matterson has served with high distinction at Iowa State University. A department head for more than 20 years, he was steadfastly judicious, progressive, considerate, and fair-minded… Above all, he has been a fine teacher, a scholar, a historian’s historian. “Matty” has always proceeded in the classroom from a steadfast set of convictions, facts are important, interpretation crucial, lucidity essential, and humor delightful stimulant.”
|Lofted bed; desk with bookshelf and desk chair; wardrobe with drawers and hanging space; microfridge; waste basket; recycle bin; mirror; towel bar; blinds.
|Matterson House has a large den on the north end of the floor that has tables and chairs for studying, playing a game of cards or a quiet place to stretch out and relax. There are two bathrooms on the floor. A water bottle refill station promotes the Department of Residence’s green initiatives.