Friley Re-assignment: Frequently Asked Questions
The Department of Residence began a remodeling project centered around the bathrooms in Friley Hall. The project was to be completed by July 28, 2023. Due to construction delays caused by circumstances outside of our control, the renovation project in your assigned house will not be completed before the Fall semester begins.
We have reassigned the students in the houses that are affected to a different area on campus for this coming academic year. All learning communities and roommate assignments will be kept intact. New assignments will be in the Housing Portal on June 19, 2023.
If you don’t see your question represented below, please submit it here and a staff member will be in touch within two to three business days.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Why is this happening/Why have I been re-assigned?
- Renovations to bathrooms in a limited number of Friley Houses started in Spring 2023. The original timeline for the construction project indicated that all work would be completed prior to move-in for Fall 2023. Unfortunately, there have been delays caused by circumstances outside of our control. Without operable bathrooms, we can’t house students in those sections of Friley Hall.
- How can I get more information about my new building/area?
- What if I don’t want to live in the building I’ve been re-assigned to and want to change it?
- We understand you may not want to live in the new building/area to which you have been assigned. We are providing a special room change window only for relocated students on July 5. You will be able to access this process in the Housing Portal at 9 a.m.
- Does my new assignment have air conditioning?
- Yes, all rooms where students have been relocated have air conditioning.
- Will I still be with my roommate?
- Yes. All original roommate pairings have remained intact.
- If I was assigned to a learning community, will I still be in that community?
- Yes. We moved entire learning communities together during this process.
- Must I relocate with my learning community or can I move to another location?
- No, you don’t have to relocate with your learning community, and you can move to another location.
- What is the process if I elect not to remain with my learning community?
- You will need to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know you want to leave the learning community. We will remove your learning community profile, which will allow you to search for other spaces during the special room change window only for relocated students on July 5. You will be able to access this process in the Housing Portal at 9 a.m.
- The building I’ve been assigned to wasn’t on my list of preferences, why was I moved there?
- We consider roommate pairings and learning community requests to be highly important to students. Unfortunately, in order to keep roommate pairings and learning communities intact, we could not honor all original room preferences. If you do not want to remain in your newly assigned spaces, you can utilize the room change process in the Housing Portal. There will be a special room change window only for relocated students at 9 a.m. on July 5.
- Will I be able to move back into my room in Friley during the year?
- At this time, we currently do not have a timeline for completion of the bathroom project, so we have booked you into your new space for the entire year. In the event that we are able to re-open those houses in Friley Hall during the academic year, our intention is to offer relocated students the first opportunity to move there.
If you don’t see your question listed above, please submit it here and a staff member will be in touch within two to three business days.