Housing Accommodation Requests

Accommodation / action plans from elementary, middle, or high school do not follow you to college. Unlike those institutions, we are not legally permitted to share your medical information with other offices - nor they with us. If you have previously told an Admissions representative, your adviser, your professor, etc. - unless you gave them specific, written, permission to inform us - they CANNOT tell us. You must personally inform us of your needs prior to or at the time you submit your Housing Contract.

The Accommodation Process

Step 1. Contract For Housing
If you need an accommodation, you must still contract via the regular process. Your accommodation availability will be impacted by your contract date. Also, on the contract there is an accommodation question. Please answer "yes" to this question. Don't assume your
needs will be met based only on your preferences.
Step 2. Register with Student Accessibility Services (SAS)
SAS evaluates each accommodation request, so you must register with this office for your accommodation to be considered. 
Step 3. Submit a Housing Accommodation Request Form
You will need to complete a Housing Accommodation Request Form and submit it to SAS along with the Required Documentation. If needed, you may be contacted for clarification or additional information. 
If you don't complete this step prior to May 1 for fall, December 1 for spring, or before you are assigned we may not be able to accommodate you.
Step 4. Your Request is Reviewed
Once you have completed the above steps, your request will be evaluated by the SAS staff who will make a recommendation regarding your assignment. There may be a difference between what you ask for and what the law and medical opinion tells us is required. Approval of all requests is at the discretion of Iowa State University.
If your request is approved, you will be assigned based first on your documented needs. The preferences on your housing contract will be considered, but an assignment within your preferences is not guaranteed. Additionally, your accommodation is for YOU only and we may not be able to assign you with any roommate(s) you have requested.

Allergies - Requests for air-conditioning due to allergies/asthma are only considered if they have been diagnosed by a qualified medical provider who has determined that the student is disabled by the condition. Of the 19 residence halls on the ISU campus, only seven are air-conditioned. As such, most new students are assigned non-air-conditioned housing. In air-conditioned buildings, air-conditioning is typically only on through the first four weeks of fall classes and the last two weeks of spring classes. .

Assistance Animals - If you have documented need for a service animal or a support animal, in addition to the above process, you must also complete an Animals in Residence Form. Please contact the Student Accessibility Services office for information.

Meal Plan Accommodations - ISU Dining is committed to offering options that meet the needs of special / restricted diets. For more information, please refer to the ISU Dining web site.

Other - The Department of Residence does not make assignments that would result in discriminations based upon race, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, color, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, age (40 and over), marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, status as a U.S. veteran (disabled, Vietnam, or other), or any other status protected by university policy or local, state, or federal law.