A desk assistant provides information, mail services, and supportive administrative assistance to all residents. These functions are varied and extensive. A desk assistant also works closely with a staff of fellow hall desk employees and the hall desk supervisor to develop a cohesive team that serves the residents.
Opening/Fall 2023 Desk Assistant Application–
As a Desk Assistant you will provide customer service, answer questions, check out loaner keys/movies/tools/equipment, possibly sort/deliver mail, and act as a resource to students living in the apartments/residence halls. Pay is $13/hour.
As an August Opening Desk Assistant, pay is also $13/hour and if you live in a DOR residence hall or apartment you will be able to move in Sunday, August 13, or Monday, August 14, for free. Mandatory training and payroll sign up for Opening Desk Assistants will take place on Monday, August 14, 2023.
Preference will be given to students contracted for fall 2023 on campus housing.
Applications are due by 8 a.m. on Monday, May 15, 2023. To apply, click here.
responsibilities and expectations
- Acting as a resource person with knowledge about Iowa State University, as well as the residence hall activities, groups, meeting places, and offices
- Sorting and distributing letters, packages, and special deliveries to residents
- Managing hall desk monies and the sale of stamps and various other supplies
- Handling student room, access and bathroom key checkout and replacement
- Checking out tools, movies, games and various other intramural equipment
- Dealing with student concerns as they may relate to the hall desk or residence hall system in general.
For more information, please contact the hall desk near you.