IMPORTANT - Thanksgiving Break Reminders and Checklist
The following checklist is a guideline for the holiday break regarding facility issues if you leave your room or apartment for more than 24 hours.
• Close and lock all windows. VERY IMPORTANT!
• Remove all trash from your wastebaskets & room.
• Turn off lights and unplug non-essential items.
• Move all temperature susceptible items away from the heaters if you are concerned about heat damage.
• Do not unplug your refrigerator unless you defrost it first. This will prevent water damage to room facilities.
• Remember to turn off your alarm clock or any other timed appliances so as not to disturb other residents or cause a safety issue.
• Take valuable items home to prevent theft.
• Fish aquariums require constant attention such as feeding and electricity. Please make prior arrangements for proper care.
• Lock your door.
• Heat settings per area:
Building Specific Heating System Procedures
Maple - Wall heating unit - Set wall thermostat to medium heat setting and fan switch ON.
Larch & Willow - Room convector - Set thermostat to warmer heat setting with fan switch ON medium or high.
Linden, BWR, BLF and Oak/Elm - Steam heat - Set thermostat knob on the radiator to a medium setting of 2 or 3.
Elm - Hot water convection heat - Baffle should be open for heat.
Buchanan - Hot water convector heat - Set wall thermostat to medium heat setting and fan switch On.
Friley - Combination of heating systems - Set convector thermostat on a medium setting and fan switch ON. Steam radiators on a medium setting of 2 or 3.
Eaton Hall - Ceiling Heating Unit - Set wall thermostat to medium heat setting and fan switch ON.
Martin Hall - Forced Air VAV - Set wall thermostat to medium heat setting and fan switch ON.
Frederiksen Court - Forced air furnace - Thermostat has a limit switch that allows the furnace not to be shut off when on the heat setting. The lowest setting on the thermostat is set at 65 degrees. Do not shut the top switch to off.
Schilletter Village - Hot water boilers - Do not turn thermostat lower than 60 degrees to prevent water pipes from freezing.
University Village - Forced air furnace - Do not turn the thermostat lower than 60 degrees to prevent water pipes from freezing.
Facilities Operations personnel may enter your room to perform maintenance during the break. Facilities Operations will be changing your heating unit filter in Maple, Eaton, and Buchanan, so please move all items away from your unit so staff can change the filter. We have many projects scheduled during this timeframe and your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
We wish you an enjoyable break.
D. E. Knight