The Department of Residence and Iowa State University have many resources in place to provide you with a safe and secure home. Fire and security systems are in each building. Each student room has an individual lock on the door.
Upon entering Iowa State, you are signed up for the ISU Alert. The ISU Alert system will notify the ISU community of potentially dangerous situations via text messages, phone calls, and e-mails. It is very important that you visit the ISU Alert web site to make sure all of your information is accurate
Residence halls are an adult living environment and you play a significant role in ensuring your safety. Please explore the links provided and talk with your community advisor to learn more about campus safety.
In the residence halls primary entrance doors are unlocked from 7am- 7pm Monday-Friday and locked Friday 7pm until Monday morning at 7am. Frederiksen Court apartment entrance doors are unlocked from 7am-7pm daily. Wallace and Wilson halls and Legacy apartment building are locked 24 hours a day, seven days a week. When doors are locked access is restricted to residents of the building who must swipe their ISUCard to gain entrance.
The exterior doors of the residence halls are on electronic card access. Geoffroy, Wallace, and Wilson halls are locked 24 hours a day, seven days a week. In other buildings, doors are unlocked Monday - Friday 7:00 am - 7:00 pm. and locked at all other times. When doors are locked access is restricted to residents of the building who must swipe their ISUCard to gain entrance.
During certain points of the year, locking schedules may change. In this instance, signs will be posted at primary entrances.
One of the main goals of the DOR is to provide a safe and confortable place for students to live. However, each of us must be aware of the role that we play in keeping ourselves and our environment secure. Regardless of the number of precautions in place, you are only as safe as you are smart! Here are a few tips to keep in mind as you explore your new community:
- Become familiar with the polices and guidelines related to residence hall / on-campus apartment living by reading the Policy Handbook for your area.
- Learn and remember important emergency numbers:
- Department of Public Safety = 515-294-4428
- Thielen Student Health Center = 515-294-5801
- Your Hall Desk or Apartment Office
- Your CA
- Keep your ISUCard with you at all times.
- Maintain control of the keys and accesss card you have been issued for your building and room.
- Never loan out your keys or access card.
- Immediately report lost or stolen keys / access cards.
- Keep your room door locked at all times.
- Don't prop open doors to your building. If you find a propped door, unprop the door and report any malfunctioning doors to staff.
- When entering your building, don't hold the door open for the people behind you. This is called tailgating and is the #1 way that non-residents enter the residence halls.
- Be aware of your surroundings and who lives in your building. Report anything or anyone unusual or that makes you uncomfortable.