Name: Carolyn Duven
My Hometown: River Falls, Wisconsin
Why did I choose ISU: I wanted a place where I could grow as a professional. There are many opportunities to work with great folks. The students are motivated and involved in the halls. Those things combined made this my top choice.
What I like best about working at at ISU: I like the relationship that I have with my colleagues, knowing that I can ask a question and they are going to give me the information I need to be successful.
How working at ISU has prepared me for my future: I am going to be able to work with a different population of students. This position offers me the chance to work on my administrative and managerial skills.
- MA, College Student Personnel, Bowling Green State University
- BA, English, Ripon College
- Associate Director of Residence Life, Cornell College
- Graduate Hall Director, Bowling Green State University
- Summer Hall Director, Bowling Green State University
- Student Assistant Hall Director, Ripon College
- Special Olympics Iowa - Unified Sports Day
- Habitat for Humanity, Ripon College (Spring Break 2001 and 2002)
- Sexual Misconduct Review Committee, Cornell College (Spring 2011)
- External Review Team- Colorado College Department of Residence Life (Winter 2011)
- ACPA College Educators International (Fall 2010)
- Compass Review Committee, Cornell College (Fall 2009-Spring 2010)
- Delta Phi Delta Advisor, Cornell College (Spring 2008-present)
- Alternative Spring Break Advisor, Cornell College (Spring Break 2008)
- Upper-Midwest Region- Association of College and University Housing Officers (Fall 2007-present)
- Greek Life New Member Standards Committee, Cornell College (Fall 2007- Spring 2008)
- LeaderShape Cluster Facilitator, LeaderShape Iowa (June 2007)
- Summer Conference Programs, Team Leader, BGSU (Summer 2005)
- Honors and Awards Committee Chair, Graduate Student Senate, BGSU (Fall 2005-Spring 2006)
- Programming Coordinator, Graduate Student Senate, BGSU (January2005-May 2005)
- American Counselor, Guy Healy Japan, Inc. (Summer 2000)
Honors & Awards
- Cornell College Outstanding Student Organization Advisor (May 2008)
- UMR-ACUHO New Professional Scholarship (Summer 2008)
- Professional Development and Training Committee, UMR-ACUHO (Fall 2007- Fall 2010)
Presentations & Publications
- Duven, C. (2010) Small School Roundtable Presentation -- UMR-ACUHO in Minneapolis, MN
- Timm, D.M., & Duven, C. J. (2008) Privacy and social networking sites. New directions for student services, 124, 89-101
- Duven, C. & Kronstein, K. (2008, October 30) Supervising difficult staff members. Presentation at the annual conference of UMR-ACUHO in Kansas City, MO.
- Duven, C & Kronstein, K. (2008, October 30) The impact of the Iowa clean air act on Cornell College. Presentation at the annual conference of UMR-ACUHO in Kansas City, MO.
- Duven, C. (2007, October 11) Introduction to different leadership styles. Presentation for the IDEA Leadership Institute first-year tier in Mount Vernon, IA.
- Duven, C. (2007, January 26) Is your window open? Understanding the Johari Window. Presentation at the annual University of Northern Iowa RA Conference in Cedar Falls, IA.
- Duven, C. (2007, January26) Touch someone who. Presentation at the annual University of Northern Iowa RA Conference in Cedar Falls, IA.